- Tropicana Scuba Diving: Akinboboye’s 8th Tourism Product
- NCAA lifts United Nigeria’s plane suspension, carrier begs passengers
- Olateru: Nigeria must undergo reforms for rapid development
- Ethiopian Airlines bars use of popular Ghana Must Go sack over damage to conveyor belts
- At Sabre tech expo, Keyamo, Olowo, others highlight investment in technology to drive travel growth
- Runway 18/R closed till 3am on Wednesday
- Int’l airlines to remain on ground
Passengers successfully disembarked from the aircraft and no casualty was recorded.
The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria late this evening announced a temporary closure of Runway 18R/36L at the Murtala Mohammed Airport, Lagos.
Spokeswoman for FAAN, Henrietta Yakubu, in a statement said the closure was due to a landing incident involving a Boeing 737 Azman Air aircraft with registration 5N SYS, and flight number ZQ2325. The aircraft, she disclosed had a tyre burst after landing on this runway.
She said all passengers and crew on board the aircraft were safely evacuated at 1908 hours, and officials of FAAN Air Rescue and Fire Fighting Services, AIB and NAHCO are already working to ensure the aircraft is towed out of the runway, so as to restore normalcy.
The aircraft, a Boeing 737-500 with registration 5N-SYS named Sani Yunusa Sarina was coming from Abuja and said to have had burst tyres on landing.
The aircraft blockage has caused a complete closure of the Runway since 6:30pm on Tuesday deterring other airlines from flying and causing cancellation of flights of several airlines with affected passengers taking out their frustrations on airport staff that are not aware of the situation.